Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Fish - Author : Elizabeth Bishop.

After reading the poem The Fish, I was quite moved with all of the metaphors and similes used to describe what was happening, and how the author really took us into her mind and showed us basically what she was seeing at that moment,and her thoughts on what she had seen.

Most of us, when we see something we just SEE it, we don't really try to break the object in question down, and really put ourselves into its place. The fact that the author compared the fish and its appearance to things that we have seen before, such as : the foil in the fish's eye, the wallpaper imagery she used, with pictures of full blown roses that were ready to die and were drying out, It really helped us imagine and picture it better, because we are already so familiar with these images. I think this poem was very descriptive in what was happening and how in that moment, before she let the Fish go, she saw what it had been through, and how it experienced this before, which was one of the reasons it looked like wallpaper that was already ripping off. I feel that if the Fish was going to die, it should die in it's own "world" instead of ours.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your interpretation, very detailed. I especially like when you said "I feel that if the Fish was going to die, it should die in it's own "world" instead of ours." I agree, I think Elizabeth felt that she shouldn't determine the fate of anothers' life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with you. this piece is very sentimental. why do you think the writer wanted us to know what everything meant?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think thats the reason she let the fish go, because she wanted it to die in its own world. Yup thats what I thought as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noted; see my comments on other blogs

    Debra--interesting question--can you elaborate?

    ReplyDelete